Sunday, May 5, 2019

Is race a problem in discipline?

Is race a problem in discipline at the Richland 2 School District?

More than a year ago I met a man before last year's big More Justice (Midlands Organized Response for Equity and Justice) gathering. I hadn't started this blog yet, but I asked to be contacted with more information. No one called.

On March 26 a woman addressed the School Board about More Justice. I left a message for her at her church and also left a message on Facebook to be contacted. No one contacted me.

More Justice has a large public meeting planned for tomorrow, Monday, May 6, 2019, at 7:00PM at the Koger Center, 1051 Greene Street, Columbia. A speaker during the public participation segment of the April 30th school board meeting indicated that as many as 1,700 people might attend.

As I understand it, one of the concerns of More Justice members is related to what they consider unfair discipline dished out to black students, when compared to white students, in Richland 2 schools.

I myself don't know if it's fair or not.

If you want to know more about More Justice, which is an assembly of 29 churches, find them on Facebook and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment