Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Richland Library - irresponsible decision

Richland Library patrons are receiving an email that announces the end to fines.

This is a terrible decision and is going to bite them hard on the bottom line.

OK, so now, when I check out a book, I don't have to return it. I'll just keep it as long as I want. How nice that the Library will remind me that my book is due. I'll just tell them I haven't finished it yet.

And this sentence in the Library's email? "If you lose or damage an item, we’ll simply add a replacement fee to your account so that we can replace the item."

How will it know whether I have lost or damaged it? At what point will they add a replacement fee? The books now have no due dates!!!

I just checked out Operation Lost Trust, by John Crangle. It was published in 2016, and my copy (autographed) looks brand-new and never opened. It's the story of corruption in S.C. government. Only 600 pages?

What does it sell for? $25.00? $50.00? It's not listed on Amazon.com. Author Crangle was quoted in the media as saying that wholesale price was less than $25.00; thus, legislators wouldn't have to report his gift on their Ethics Commission filings.


Why should I ever return this book? (If you know me (or even if you don't), I will read it, and I shall return it.)

When I lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico, its library had a similar policy. Teachers would check out 50-100 books for use in classrooms, and the books were never returned.

You can forget reserving a popular, newly-released book. The first person will check it out and never return it. Then the Library will buy another copy. And another. And another.

No comments:

Post a Comment