Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Released today - Why Meadow Died

I started reading Why Meadow Died at 5:00AM, after Amazon delivered it to my Kindle earlier today. Meadow Pollack was a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. She died on February 14, 2018.

So far, I've just about finished the Preface, written by Meadow's father, Andrew Pollack, and co-author Max Eden, who is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute.

Everyone should read this book. Every parent should read it. Every member of the Richland School District Two community should read it - the School Board, the Superintendent, the staff, the teachers, the employees, the parents and, yes, the students.

Hardcover or e-book from Amazon
Buy your copy and start reading it. Contact your favorite bookseller or Amazon. Don't "skim" it. Read it. Read every word on every page.

As I read the Preface, I felt it had Richland 2 written all over it. Parents have delegated (abdicated?) responsibility for their children to the District. Well, Parents, you are responsible for your children, not the school district.

I attended the first school board meeting after the Parkland shooting.

You can view my remarks to the school board by going to YouTube.com, then to Richland 2, then to the Feb. 27, 2018, meeting, and then scroll forward to 30:05 on the timer. Note that then-Board Chair Craig Plank indicates that the board will not responding directly to me (the speaker), "but someone from the District office will be reaching out to you at the conclusion of your remarks or at a later date."

In my remarks I requested the District to survey teachers, staff and parents on the topic of arming teachers. I also asked Richland 2 to establish a committee of parents and community members on school safety.

What happened? Was I contacted?

I had to follow up with the Board Chair, and then the response - finally - from the superintendent was that there would not be a survey. And I never heard a word about my suggestion for a parents and community member committee on school safety.

Read this book. Then talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment