Thursday, October 17, 2019

Box cutter? Tool or Weapon?

Want to drive me crazy?

It's a great thing that I could not hear Trustee Shadd mumbling in a low voice at the school board meeting on October 15, when he asked about a box cutter in a shop class. If a teacher has a box cutter in a shop class, does he have a weapon?

And later Teresa Holmes made a refereence to box cutters.

As I saw in the audience, I thought, "I have a weapon right here in my hand." I was holding an EnerGel Liquid Gel Ink writing pen full of blue ink. Is that a weapon?

Are my eyeblasses weapons? Are my hands weapons? My feet? Is a No. 2 pencil a weapon? What about a nail file and a hair clip? What about the buckle on my belt? Heck, what about the belt itself? Or my shoelaces?

The board room Tuesday night was full of weapons!!!

This nonsense drives me crazy.

We have trustees on the school board who apparently cannot discern between a tool and a weapon. Sure, this will anger them to read this. Well, it angered me to hear them waste public time with that drivel.

Yes, a box cutter is a weapon if someone holds it up to my neck and threatens to slice off my head.

No, it is NOT a weapon when used to cut open a box!!!

When Mr. Shadd mentioned knives and said "of a certain length", the staffer seemed to be agreeing. But I don't think the policy refers to length. If a student shows up with his Swiss Army Knife on his belt, he's going to jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment