Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Lessons from Nashville

What can be learned from the horrendous shootings in Nashville at the Christian school?

First of all, if you are an untrained, unarmed, school employee, you don't run toward the shots.

Second, in view of reports that the shooter may have had mental illness, why did he (err, "she") still access to firearms?

Mental health therapists are reluctant to red-flag clients, because they fear the consequences of HIPAA. You know, that "patient confidentiality" thing.

Should school staff and teachers have the authority to arm themselves?

At the very first Richland 2 school board meeting I attended, on February 27, 2018 (two weeks after the shootings in Parkland, Florida), I urged the board to conduct a survey of parents, teachers, staff and community members on the topic of arming teachers.

Just as Lindsay Agostini explained last night to speakers, then-Chair Craig Plank said the board would not respond but a staff member would follow up.

When none did, I kept pestering until Baron Davis did call me and told me they would be no survey. Of course, I immediately recognized that the board had never considered my request. Baron Davis turned it down.

Richland 2 has been lucky. I'll tell you - all steps have NOT been taken to reduce the possibility of an in-school shooting. Every school administrator knows who is likely to be "a shooter", but they can't point fingers. They'll get accused of profiling.

Well, what do you want? An accusation of profiling or some dead kids and teachers?

No comments:

Post a Comment