Monday, April 12, 2021

How History will be taught

South Carolina State Rep. Linda (Lin) Bennett (R-Charleston) has filed House Bill 3002, which would proscribe how history is taught in South Carolina schools. The Bill is now in the House Committee on Education and Public Works.

The South Carolina House is closing in on cross-over day - the last day a bill can cross over to the Senate for consideration and approval. If I were to guess, I'd say H.3002 will die a quiet death this year, but it might come back to life later in the year or next year.

Today a reader called my attention to that bill because of my interest in The 1619 Project - or rather my interest in seeing that The 1619 Project does not become the primary teaching tool in Richland 2.

Sunday's The State newspaper carried an article by Zak Koeske with the headline 

"SC bill hopes to restore ‘patriotic’ history education. But who decides America’s story?"

I recently filed a FOIA request with the Richland 2 School District to unearth records of any teaching of The 1619 Project in local school. The response was there was no documentation of such.

If your students are coming home with questions and concerns about The 1619 Project, please let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment